Extensive Cover at great rates and you'll be helping people in need at no extra cost to you.

Ski resorts opening

The 2009-10 ski and snowboard season is already under way. Glacier resorts in the Alps began opening in September and have been boosted by huge snowfalls in recent weeks. They’ve been joined by half a dozen US resorts which are all promising signs for the ski season to come. Despite the financial gloom, tour operators are cautiously optimistic for a good season ahead, arguing that it’s always the snow not the economic situation that determines whether a season is a financial success or not.

But there is no doubt that the weaknesss of the pound against the euro and US dollar will deter some skiers and that’s why after two good snow years, the strong euro is making Scottish snow look ever more appealing and the Scottish mountains saw their first healthy snowfall since last winter at the beginning of october of the month, possibly heralding an early start to the season there. With lift passes expected to be half the equivalent in the Alps this year, perhaps this is the winter to ski in Scotland?

However, for those deciding to winter holiday at home, it’s worth remembering that the same rules though apply to holidays in the UK as they do elsewhere. So do make sure you are properly covered in case of emergencies. Travel insurance, for example, is not always thought of as a necessity if you take a break in the UK, being so close to home and under the safety net of the NHS should you have an accident but travel insurance covers much more than medical emergencies. Most people buy travel insurance for trips and holidays abroad but these policies do generally provide cover for travel within the UK, though do check the small print rather than assuming that this is always the case.

It can be very useful to have insurance should you subsequently cancel a trip, say for illness, as your holiday costs will be reimbursed subject to any excesses to pay. Your personal effects will probably be covered too, which is an important point to consider as theft and loss is not just confined to holidays abroad – these things happen at home too. What you will almost certainly not be covered for will be for medical expenses as the NHS is available for such instances.

One final word of advice though is do check the small print as many, if not most, insurers do require you to have proof of booked accommodation, or a campsite booking in the case of camping and caravanning, for a minimum stay of normally 2 nights away for the policy to be in force so the one night weekend trip away is definitely outside this definition.

This article is brought to you by Travelandinsure.com – specialist in ethical travel insurance

Comments are closed.